— Callie and Marie, catchphrase
|“||(Which team are you on? Callie: Team Chaos) "I might be a popstar, but even I want to pop off now and then!" She can't be a handful for Marie with her carefree attitude and adventurous spirit, but this what qualifies her to be a resident in the world of chaos.||”|
— Callie, explaining her reasoning for joining Team Chaos.
Callie (アオリ Aori?, lit. Bigfin reef squid), is one of the former hosts for the Inkopolis News program, which announces events, new DLC and other battle-related news. She used to host with Marie and manage Splatfests. As well as this, she is a member of the famous duo the Squid Sisters, a singing duo in Inkopolis. In Hero Mode, it is revealed that the she is Craig Cuttlefish's granddaughter. She is also Agent 1 of the New Squidbeak Splatoon. Despite their title being "Squid Sisters", Callie and Marie are actually cousins.
Her tentacles, which are black with a pink gradient at the ends, are very long and tied in a large bow on the back of her head, leaving the ends to dangle. She has large, angular eyes with gold irises and light brown pupils in the shape of a plus. Her eye markings end in small points, and her eyebrows are large and oval shaped. Her ears are slightly narrower, longer, and more upturned than those of the average Inkling, and on them she wears a pair of chunky milk-white earrings.
Her outfit, which has no sleeves and ends in shorts, is black with a reflective texture. On the front are three pink marks, which, somewhat morbidly, are made to look like the cuts made in squid when it is cooked. With this outfit, she wears pink tights, white gloves, and a small, white, shirt collar necklace. Callie also wears a pair of black wedge shoes with a texture similar to leather, which have a shiny pink material on the bottom and two pink buttons on either side of the ankle. She wears a pink and white hat resembling the Japanese fast food ikayaki on her head and has a mole on her left cheek.
During a Splatfest, any part of Callie's appearance that is normally pink will change to match the color of her Splatfest Team, including the ends of her tentacles.
As a child, Callie wore traditional Japanese-style clothing, and her tentacles were somewhat messy and much shorter, with the longest one falling just past her left ear. Her first outfit, shown in Sunken Scroll 17, consisted of a purple yukata with a squid pattern on the sleeves and a flower pattern towards the bottom, and a pair of thick black zōri with purple thongs. On the left side of her head, she wore some sort of purple accessory, resembling the feather part of her hat, and her bang was swept to the left like Marie's instead of the right.
While posing as Agent 1, she wears a pink beanie with a star on the left side with her bang showing, a pair of sunglasses, and what appears to be a pink T-shirt. It is unknown how her tentacles are worn as they are covered by her beanie. Noticeably, her beauty mark is not present. Her attire suggests she is hiding her real identity from any fans that may happen to see her.
For her second outfit, which was shown in promotional art for the Japanese Grasshopper vs. Ant Splatfest, Callie wore a red-orange yukata with a white jellyfish pattern and thinner zōri, but still with purple thongs. The purple accessory had changed to green and red, and she had what seems to be a blue inner tube strapped to her back.
While brainwashed by DJ Octavio, she wears a radically different outfit - a small black crop top exposing her midriff with three pink marks like her stage outfit, revealing a pink octopus-shaped temporary tattoo near her navel. Her earrings have been replaced by golden octopus-shaped earrings and her hat resembles an takoyaki. Her shorts appear to be made of black leather and are low cut enough to reveal a glimpse of pink fabric, possibly her undergarments, and her tights are dark purple with a magenta tinge and sequins, giving them a galactic look. Additionally, she wears a pair of sunglasses revealed to be DJ Octavio's hypnoshades, which he uses to keep her under his influence.
However, as phase four of the DJ Octavio fight begins, Callie's outfit abruptly changes back to her Splatoon appearance after leaping onto Marie and Sheldon's truck and rejoining Marie, reuniting the Squid Sisters for another round of overriding Octavio's music with Calamari Inkantation.
At Tentakeel Outpost, Callie wears a more casual outfit: a white shirt with a black undershirt and a pink hoodie, a pair of black shorts, a pair of brown heeled shoes with pink socks sticking out, earrings, and the same pink beanie she wears as Agent 1 of the same color as her hoodie with the yellow star introduced in Splatoon.
Callie wears a slightly modified version of her attire from the first game, but in different colors. She now wear a dress, which is black with a reflective texture as if covered in sequins. On the front are three yellow marks. With this outfit, she wears white tights, black gloves, and a small, white, pointed neck accessory giving the impression of a shirt collar. On her feet, Callie wears a pair of black wedge shoes with a texture like leather, which has a shiny white material on the bottom. She now wears a yellow and black Ikayaki hat on her head and a white/black sash across his chest (going from her left shoulder to the right side of her lower back). Her tentacles are now black with a yellowish tinge at the ends.
Callie is optimistic and peppy, with the occasional sarcastic remark. This makes her a good foil to Marie, who has more pronounced sarcastic and lazy tendencies.
Inkopolis News is Inkopolis' news program, announcing events and updates on new features in Splatoon. Inkopolis News Studio can be found on the upper level of Inkopolis Plaza, where the Squid Sisters can be seen in their studio.
Marie used to host Splatfest events, a multiplayer event in which players of a region divided into opposing team, with Callie and Marie each representing a different team. Callie's team is always shown on the left side of the Splatfest artwork and Marie's team is on the right. For the duration of the event, their clothes and tentacles temporarily change color to match that of their team's ink and they perform a live concert in Inkopolis atop trucks outfitted with stage equipment.
At the top left corner of the box showing the player's Splatfest Power is a pair of eyes representing the Squid Sister they have sided with: players on Callie's team see her angular eyes, and those on Marie's team see her heavy-lidded eyes. Both versions have their signature pupils, but with a dark red color instead of the usual gold.
During the results of the 15th North American Splatfest Early Bird vs. Night Owl, Callie got sick of Marie's attitude, causing the duo to argue about who won more Splatfests before getting personal. This hinted at the announcement of the Final Splatfest; Callie vs. Marie, which was confirmed to last 48 hours, as opposed to the usual 24 hour duration of a standard Splatfest.
Callie and Marie were from Calamari County, where they were born and raised. After they won Inkopolis' first annual Youth Folk-Singing Contest, they moved to Inkopolis where they began their career as announcers for Splatfests and musicians.
When first beginning Splatoon's Hero Mode, Cap'n Cuttlefish refers to the player as Agent 3, as they are the third agent of the New Squidbeak Splatoon to fight off the Octarians. He even states that the equipment given to the player is a hand-me-down from the previous two agents. Towards the end of Hero Mode, it is heavily implied that Agents 1 and 2 were in fact Callie and Marie, respectively. Among other clues, Agent 1 almost refers to Agent 2 as "Marie", and the Squid Sisters are seen reporting on the return of the Great Zapfish while pretending not to know how it came back.
After Cuttlefish is kidnapped, the Squid Sisters will serve as the player's mission control until DJ Octavio is defeated. Also, as stated in the Sunken Scrolls and the dialogue for refighting DJ Octavio, Callie and Marie started their career after they won a singing contest.
Between the events of Splatoon and Splatoon 2
After the last Splatfest of Splatoon, the Squid Sisters grew in popularity, but Callie and Marie took separate paths, leading to the events of Splatoon 2. The story of Callie and Marie's separation was told in Squid Sisters Stories, a series of stories made available on official Splatoon websites.
In Splatoon 2, Callie's disappearance at the same time as the Great Zapfish alerts Marie to the return of DJ Octavio, leading to the recruitment of Agent 4. As Agent 4 made their way through Octo Canyon, Marie begins receiving peculiar radio messages that are later revealed to be coming from Callie.
When Agent 4 and Marie finally discover Callie, they learn that she has fallen under the influence of DJ Octavio's "hypnoshades" and is now working as one of his subordinates. During the following battle, Marie manages to shoot off the hypnoshades with her Hero Charger, bringing Callie back to her senses and waking her up. She is the final boss in Splatoon 2's Hero Mode alongside DJ Octavio.
In the manga series
The Squid Sisters first appeared in issue 1 of the CoroCoro manga Splatoon, announcing the CoroCoro Cup. They are the hosts that tournament. In the tournament (CoroCoro Cup), they were the commentators for all the matches. Then in Volume 3, they appeared in the Hero Mode chapters starring as Agent 1 & 2. After, they commentate the match between Team Gloves and Team Blue, and they seem to disappear for the rest of the series.
|"Bomb Rush Blush"||Callie||2:24|
|"Bomb Rush Blush Remix"||DJ Octavio featuring Callie||3:59|
|"Tidal Rush"||DJ Octavio featuring Callie vs Marie||3:43|
- If the player looks at the Squid Sisters through their window while they are chatting with each other in their Inkopolis Plaza studio, Callie and Marie will stop talking and wave at the player.
- The Squid Sisters' puns are all squid based.
- Callie and Marie's names are, when combined, wordplay on "calamari". Their names in different localizations of the game tend to be based on different puns. Marie realizes this if you fight the final boss of Splatoon 2 for the second time.
- When Callie leaps onto Marie and Sheldon's truck before phase four of the final boss, her outfit abruptly changes from her octopus-themed costume to her original Splatoon appearance.
- In the French version of the game, Callie and Marie's names are Ayo and Oly, respectively. These names together are a pun on aioli, a sauce often served with seafood, and possibly a pun on Aori-ika, the Japanese name for the Bigfin Reef Squid.
- Marie given names in Japanese are derived from real-world specie: "Aori-ika" or bigfin reef squid,
- Her Spanish names is Tina, Tina is a Spanish given name and it's also the word for tub, her and Marie's Spanish names make the word "Martina", a Spanish given name.
- In the German Version of the Game, Callie's name "Aioli" is directly referencing the above-mentioned sauce.
- Callie and her cousin appear to be the second-oldest Inklings seen in Splatoon, the oldest being Cap'n Cuttlefish. However, one can assume many Inklings older than them that don't participate in Turf War are somewhere absent from the city.
- Marie and Callie's outfit designs are thought to be centered around the dishes "ika soumen", "ika rings", and "ikayaki".
- Callie is a roller main, according to several bits of dialogue throughout the first and second games. Marie is a charger main.
- In a piece of dialogue spoken during the stage announcements, the Squid Sisters reveal that they both have, in the past, been employees at Walleye Warehouse and that Callie can also be very clumsy. The dialogue is as follows:
- Callie: "Remember working here [Walleye Warehouse] part-time back in the day?"
- Marie: "Yeah, and how often you broke the assembly line..."
- In the stage news for Moray Towers, The Squid Sisters reference Pokémon in one of their lines, referring to the phrase 'It's super effective!' and 'I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was' which is one of the lines from the first Pokémon anime opening.
- Callie: "Rollers are super effective here!"
- Marie: "Chargers are the very best, like no gun ever was!"
- And when Callie and Marie announce the Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue Splatfest one of their dialogue is a reference to Team Rocket's catchphrase in the anime.
- Callie: "Sigh... This Splatfest is going to be trouble."
- Marie: "And make it double!"
- Callie: "We'll protect Inkopolis from devastation!"
- Marie: "And unite all squids within our nation!"
- In the August Update, a new line has also been added, poking fun at mechanics developers implemented in order to maximize the frame-rate, such as Draw Distance.
- Callie: "It's so foggy I can't even see the ground!"
- Marie: "That's called draw distan- Er... It's smog. *COUGH*"
- The sixteenth and final global Splatfest, rather than featuring the Squid Sisters taking sides on a hosted showdown, featured the Squid Sisters themselves as the teams. The final results gave Marie a 54% popularity advantage and a 51% victory ratio, making her supporters the overall Splatfest winner.
- In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, scanning Amiibos of the two will unlock squirrel versions of themselves, called Cece (Callie) and Viché (Marie).
- With Callie is missing and Marie absent to search for her, a new band, "Off The Hook", hosts Splatfests and produces music in their place.
- Although it is known that Callie and Marie are cousins and judging by their appearances, it is assumed that they are the same age.
- Callie's amiibo entry reads as follows:
- Callie is the cheeriest member of the pop idol duo known as the Squid Sisters in the Splatoon™ game. Along with Marie, she hosts Inkopolis News and Splatfest events, in which Inklings pick one of two sides and battle the opposing team in Turf War. These two cousins rose to fame after winning Calamari County’s first annual Youth Folk-Singing Contest, and their remarkable voices continue to rock Inkopolis!
- Callie won 25 Splatfests in Splatoon overall, , while Marie only won 18 overall.
Names in Other Languages
|From Aori-ika (Japanese for Bigfin reef squid)|
|German (Deutsch)||Aioli||From aioli, a type of sauce.|
|Transcription of English name|
|Latin American Spanish (español)||Mar||Spanish for sea. With Marie's Spanish name (Tina), it forms Martina.|
|European Spanish (castellano)||Mar||Spanish for sea. With Marie's Spanish name (Tina), it forms Martina.|
|Italian (Italiano)||Stella||From stella (star). With Marie's Italian name (Marina), it forms stella marina (starfish).|
|From Japanese name|
Squid Sisters Stories: https://splatoon.nintendo.com/squid-sisters-stories/
|Characters in Splatoon|