It is set on a large sail boat that had many level ramps and edges. It is also the same sail boat that Pearl had received on her sixth birthday.
Manta Maria is a large ship with the Spawn Point located at the bow and stem of the ship. The areas closest to spawn feature varying heights including steep drop-offs. Following the path to the right will lead to an area that oversees the central band of the ship. Going straight from spawn will lead to a structure that can be climbed on to get a vantage on the central area or a highway that leads to the lower portion of the central area. Distinguishing features of the map include three large masts in each team's base and the centre of the map which are accessible by netted walkways which overlook the map. The key point of this stage is the offensive and defensive battle around the three huge masts and the area covered in netting.
- The ship is based on the Santa Maria, one of the ships used by Christopher Columbus on his voyage to the Americas.
- The map was first shown during the Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct on July 6, 2017.
- It was later officially revealed with the name and an overview on August 22, 2017.
- The map was added to Splatoon 2 on August 25, 2017 at 10pm ET (7pm PT)
- In April 2018, Splatoon 2 had a collaboration with JAMSTEC. A Japanese drilling ship called a 'Chikyuu' was added to the background of the stage.
- Pearl claims that Manta Maria was the ship she had been given for her sixth birthday. It is unknown if this is true.
- ↑ Nintendo of America on Twitter: "A new stage comes to #Splatoon2 Friday evening! All aboard the Manta Maria. No word on the buffet, but we hear the splatting is 5 stars.…"
- ↑ Magitroopa on Twitter: "Manta Maria is now available."