— Callie and Marie, catchphrase
The Squid Sisters, known in Japan as Sea O' Colors (シオカラーズ Shiokarāzu), are a fashionable Inkling idol group in Inkopolis, consisting of Callie and Marie (アオリ & ホタル Aori and Hotaru). They were the former hosts for the Inkopolis News program, which announces events, new DLC and other battle-related news. They used to host and manage Splatfests. Their voice actors are Keity.pop and Mari Kikuma (菊間まり), respectively.
Drop down the information below with caution unless you have completed Hero Mode or Octo Expansion. Spoilers are below.
Spoilers end here.
Her tentacles, which are black with a pink gradient at the ends, are very long and tied in a large bow on the back of her head, leaving the ends to dangle. She has large, angular eyes with gold irises and light brown pupils in the shape of a plus. Her eye markings end in small points, and her eyebrows are large and oval shaped. Her ears are slightly narrower, longer, and more upturned than those of the average Inkling, and on them she wears a pair of chunky milk-white earrings.
Her outfit, which has no sleeves and ends in shorts, is black with a reflective texture. On the front are three pink marks, which, somewhat morbidly, are made to look like the cuts made in squid when it is cooked. With this outfit, she wears pink tights, white gloves, and a small, white, shirt collar necklace. Callie also wears a pair of black wedge shoes with a texture similar to leather, which have a shiny pink material on the bottom and two pink buttons on either side of the ankle. She wears a pink and white hat resembling the Japanese fast food ikayaki on her head and has a beauty mark on her left cheek.
During a Splatfest, any part of Callie's appearance that is normally pink will change to match the color of her Splatfest Team, including the ends of her tentacles.
As a child, Callie wore traditional Japanese-style clothing, and her tentacles were somewhat messy and much shorter, with the longest one falling just past her left ear. Her first outfit, shown in Sunken Scroll 17, consisted of a purple yukata with a squid pattern on the sleeves and a flower pattern towards the bottom, and a pair of thick black zōri with purple thongs. On the left side of her head, she wore some sort of purple accessory.
For her second outfit, which was shown in promotional art for the Japanese Grasshopper vs. Ant Splatfest, Callie wore a red-orange yukata with a white jellyfish pattern and thinner zōri, but still with purple thongs. The purple accessory had changed to green and red, and she had what seems to be a blue inner tube strapped to her back.
While brainwashed by DJ Octavio, she wears a radically different outfit. She wears a small tank top in her colors that exposes her midriff, revealing an octopus-shaped marking near her belly button. Her earrings have been replaced by gold octopus earrings and her hat resembles an octopus tentacle. Her shorts appear to be made of black leather and are low-cut enough to reveal a glimpse of her pink panties, and her leggings are purple with sequins. Additionally, she wears a pair of sunglasses revealed to be Octavio's hypnoshades, which he uses to keep her under his influence.
- However, as Phase 4 of the DJ Octavio fight begins, Callie's outfit abruptly changes back to her Splatoon appearance after leaping onto Marie and Sheldon's truck and rejoining Marie, reuniting the Squid Sisters for another round of overriding Octavio's music with Calamari Inkantation.
SplatoonMarie has a more sultry design than Callie.
Her tentacles, which are milk-white, are tied in a large bow on the right side of her head, with the ends wrapped around to the other side and curling up slightly at the ends with an unsaturated gray gradient. She has large, downturned eyes with gold irises and light brown pupils in the shape of a plus. Her eye markings end in small, slightly curved points, and her eyebrows are large and oval shaped. Her ears are slightly narrower and longer than those of the average Inkling, and on them she wears a pair of chunky milk-white earrings.
Her outfit, which has no sleeves and ends in a skirt, is black with a reflective texture. On the front are three green marks, which, somewhat morbidly, are made to look like the cuts made in squid when it is cooked, and the inside skirt facing is also green. With this outfit, she wears green tights, black shorts, white gloves, and a small, white, shirt collar necklace. Marie also wears a pair of black wedge shoes with a texture similar to leather, which have a shiny green material on the bottom and two green buttons on either side of the ankle. She wears a green and white hat resembling a calamari ring, and has a beautymark on her right cheek.
During a Splatfest, any part of Marie's appearance that is normally green will change to match the color of her Splatfest Team, including the ends of her tentacles.
As a child, Marie wore traditional Japanese-style clothing, and her tentacles were much shorter and messier. Her first outfit, shown in Sunken Scroll 17, consisted of a black yukata with a white polka dot pattern at the bottom, and a pair of thick black zōri with pink thongs. On the left side of her head, she wore a green and white accessory that simply looked like a smaller version of her current calamari hat.
For her second outfit, which was shown in promotional art for the Japanese Grasshopper vs. Ant Splatfest, Marie wore a white yukata with a seashell pattern in lime green, navy blue, and dull purple. The calamari accessory had taken on a dark purple tint in addition to its existing colors.
In Splatoon 2, Marie wears a grey kimono with a green belt, with a red knot on her forehead. She also wears a pair of wooden clogs on her feet. However, during the final boss fight against DJ Octavio and a brainwashed Callie, Marie will arrive with Sheldon, wearing her Squid Sisters outfit again to help Callie break free of Octavio's brainwashing and rejoin her to beat him for good.
Both Squid Sisters are clever and passionate about not only their music, but entertaining their fans. Callie is optimistic and peppy, with the occasional sarcastic remark. This makes her a good foil to Marie, who has more pronounced sarcastic and lazy tendencies.
Inkopolis News is Inkopolis' news program, announcing events and updates on new features in Splatoon. Inkopolis News Studio can be found on the upper level of Inkopolis Plaza, where the Squid Sisters can be seen in their studio.
The Squid Sisters also host Splatfest events, a multiplayer event in which players of a region divide into opposing team, with Callie and Marie each representing a different team. Callie's team is always shown on the left side of the Splatfest artwork and Marie's team is on the right. For the duration of the event, their clothes and tentacles temporarily change color to match that of their team's Ink and they perform a live concert in Inkopolis atop trucks outfitted with stage equipment.
At the top left corner of the box showing the player's Splatfest Power is a pair of eyes representing the Squid Sister they have sided with: players on Callie's team see her angular eyes, and those on Marie's team see her heavy-lidded eyes. Both versions have their signature pupils, but with a dark red color instead of the usual gold.
During the results of the 15th North American Splatfest Early Bird vs. Night Owl, Callie got sick of Marie's attitude, causing the duo to argue about who won more Splatfests before getting personal. This hinted at the announcement of the final Splatfest; Callie vs. Marie, which was confirmed to last 48 hours, as opposed to the usual 24 hour duration of a standard Splatfest.
Callie and Marie were from Calamari County, where they were born and raised. After they won Inkopolis' first annual Youth Folk-Singing Contest, they moved to Inkopolis where they began their career as announcers for Splatfests and musicians.
Drop down the information below with caution unless you have completed Hero Mode or Octo Expansion. Spoilers are below.
Spoilers end here.
(Spoilers for Splatoon 2 below: approach with caution)
After the last Splatfest of Splatoon, the Squid Sisters grew in popularity, but Callie and Marie took separate paths, leading to the events of Splatoon 2. The story of Callie and Marie's separation was told in Squid Sisters Stories, a series of stories made available on official Splatoon websites.
After Marie wins Splatoon's final Splatfest, the two cousins begin to spend less time together. When Marie went on a holiday to visit her parents at their hometown in Calamari County, she could not find her cousin, and so recruited the player (who is known as "Agent 4") to search for Callie. In the Squid Sisters' absence, a news duo band, "Off The Hook", stepped into their place to host future Splatfests.
Marie returns as a major player in Splatoon 2's hero mode in Octo Canyon. This time, she is more open about her identity as Agent 2 and fills Cap'n Cuttlefish's role as Agent 4's main advisor and guide as the Cap'n is out on a research trip with Agent 3. As Agent 4 fights through the Octarian complex in search of the Great Zapfish, Marie reveals that Callie went missing at the same time and suspects Octarian involvement.
Eventually, she and Agent 4 discover that Callie has been brainwashed by DJ Octavio using his hypnoshades and are forced to fight him and Callie; as the battle continues, Marie is able to shoot off the hypnoshades with a Hero Charger, bringing Callie back to her senses and waking her up.
In Splatoon 2, Callie's disappearance at the same time as the Great Zapfish's alerts Marie to the return of DJ Octavio, leading to the recruitment of Agent 4. As the new agent made their way through Octo Canyon, Marie begins receiving peculiar radio messages that are later revealed to be coming from Callie.
When Agent 4 and Marie finally discover Callie, they learn that she has fallen under the influence of DJ Octavio's "hypnoshades" and is now working as one of his subordinates. During the following battle, Marie manages to shoot off the hypnoshades with her Hero Charger, bringing Callie back to her senses and waking her up. She is the final boss in Splatoon 2's Hero Mode alongside DJ Octavio.
On January 30, 2016, a real-life Squid Sisters concert called "Shiokaraibu" (Japanese: シオカライブ, translating to "Squid Sisters Live") was held at Niconico Tokaigi 2016, a gaming event in Chiba, Japan. It starred digital projections of Callie and Marie, using unique, high-quality 3D models instead of those used in-game. They performed all five of their songs, most of them being extended or remixed slightly, ending with Calamari Inkantation.
On April 29, 2016, the second live performance by the Squid Sisters was held at Choongakusai 2016, a music festival featuring a variety of popular artists. The concert featured the debut of two new songs: Bomb Rush Blush and Tide Goes Out. They were solos sung by Callie and Marie, respectively. The following day, it was revealed that the new songs will be unlockable with the new Callie and Marie Amiibo figures launching in July.
On July 8, 2016, their third live performance was held at Japan Expo 2016, a convention dedicated to Japanese pop culture in Paris, France. It had the same set list as their second concert, with the dialogue in between songs shown in French. The live band's stage presence was also given more of an emphasis in this concert.
A live album featuring recordings of the first two concerts, Splatoon Live in Masuhari, was released in Japan on July 13th, 2016.
A fourth live performance was held at Niconico Cho Party on November 3rd, 2016.  They performed City of Color/Ink Me Up medley, followed by Maritime Memory and Calamari Inkantation.
On February 10, 2018, the Squid Sisters made a special appearance at "Haikaraibu" (Japanese: ハイカライブ, translating to "Inkopolis Live"), which was held at Tokaigi 2018. After Off the Hook performed Ebb & Flow, Callie and Marie went on stage to perform Fresh Start, followed by Spicy Calamari Inkantation. Afterwards, both the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook performed Now or Never! as the finale.
Using the Squid Sisters' amiibo applies all the cosmetic changes of a Splatfest to Inkopolis Plaza, and the player can choose what song they perform. This is the only way to see the accompanying dances for these songs, with the exception of City of Color, the default for Splatfests.
In the manga series
The Squid Sisters first appeared in issue 1 of the CoroCoro manga Splatoon, where they announced the CoroCoro Cup. They are hosts for that tournament. They now often appear in issues starting with issue 2.
Callie and Marie's songs are in the Inkling language.
|"Inkopolis Evolution"||Squid Sisters||2:00|
|"Splatfest News"||Squid Sisters||1:16|
|"Ink Me Up"||Squid Sisters||2:13|
|"Calamari Inkantation (Final Splatfest Battle Verison)"||Squid Sisters||2:12|
|"Now or Never"||Squid Sisters||1:02|
|"Calamari Inkantation"||Squid Sisters||2:14|
|"Maritime Memory"||Squid Sisters||2:47|
|"Bomb Rush Blush"||Callie||2:24|
|"Tide Goes Out"||Marie||2:20|
|"Bomb Rush Blush Remix"||DJ Octavio featuring Callie||3:59|
|"Tide Rush"||DJ Octavio featuring Callie vs Marie||3:43|
|"Spicy Calamari Inkantation"||Squid Sisters||4:02|
|"Fresh Start"||Squid Sisters||4:00|
Names in other languages
|Japanese||シオカラーズ||Shiokarāzu, Sea of Color|
|French||Calamazones||From the French word "calamar" 'squid' and "amazones" "amazons"|
|Russian||Сёстры-каракатицы||Sostri-karakaticy, Cuttlefish Sisters|
- If the player looks at the Squid Sisters through their window while they are chatting with each other in their Inkopolis Plaza studio, Callie and Marie will stop talking and wave at the player.
- The Squid Sisters' puns are all squid based.
- In Octo Canyon, when you try to shooting Marie, she will block the ink with her umbrella (the same way using a Splat Umbrella) and shaking it off afterwards.
- Callie and Marie's names are, when combined, wordplay on "calamari". Their names in different localizations of the game tend to be based on different puns.
- Marie realises this if you fight the final boss of Splatoon 2 for the second time. When Callie leaps onto Marie and Sheldon's truck before Phase 4 of the final boss, her outfit abruptly changes from her octopus-themed costume to her original Splatoon appearance.
- In the French version of the game, Callie and Marie's names are Ayo and Oly, respectively. These names together are a pun on aioli, a sauce often served with seafood, and possibly a pun on Aori-ika, the Japanese name for the Bigfin Reef Squid.
- Their given names in Japanese are derived from real-world species: "Aori-ika" or bigfin reef squid, and "Hotaru-ika" or firefly squid.
- Their Spanish names are Mar and Tina. Mar is a Spanish given name and it means Sea, while Tina is a Spanish given name and it's also the word for tub. Also, their names make the word "Martina", a Spanish given name.
- The band's name in Spanish, Calamarciñas is a pun on Calamar (Squid) and Niñas (Girls) and it could be translated as "Squid Girls".
- In the German Version of the Game, Callie's name "Aioli" is directly referencing the above-mentioned sauce, while Marie's name "Limone" is referencing lemon.
- The band's name in Japanese, "シオカラーズ" (Shiokarāzu) is a portmanteau of the Japanese word シオカラ (shiokara), which is salted squid that's fermented in its entrails, and the Japanese romanization of the word 'colors', or カラーズ, (karāzu).
- シオ of シオカラ have kanji used in Japan, which are 塩 (Shio), meaning of "salt". シオ can be also read as 潮 (Shio), which means "tide" or "ocean current", which also has something to do with salt.
- In the "Gachi-bon Matsuri" version of the song Calamari Inkantation used in Niconico Chokaigi 2016, "Shiokarāzu" is written as "塩辛", with the second kanji character 辛 (karashi) meaning "spicy".
- The band's name in Russian, "Сёстры-каракатицы" (Syostry-karakatitsy) means "Cuttlefish sisters".
- Callie and Marie appear to be the second-oldest Inklings seen in-game, the oldest being Cap'n Cuttlefish. However, one can assume many Inklings older than them that don't participate in Turf War are somewhere absent from the city.
- Their outfit designs are thought to be centred around the dishes "ika soumen", "ika rings", and "ikayaki".
- According to Callie, Marie is good at impressions.
- In Hero Mode Stage 25, Far Flung Flooders, Marie says that she dislikes Flooders.
- In a piece of dialogue spoken during the stage announcements, the Squid Sisters reveal that they both have, in the past, been employees at Walleye Warehouse and that Callie can also be very clumsy. The dialogue is as follows:
- Callie: "Remember working here [Walleye Warehouse] part-time back in the day?"
- Marie: "Yeah, and how often you broke the assembly line..."
- In the stage news for Moray Towers, The Squid Sisters reference Pokémon in one of their lines, referring to the phrase 'It's super effective!' and 'I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was' which is one of the lines from the first Pokémon anime opening.
- Callie: "Rollers are super effective here!"
- Marie: "Chargers are the very best, like no gun ever was!"
- And when Callie and Marie announce the Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue Splatfest one of their dialouge is a reference to Team Rocket's catchphrase in the anime
- Callie: "Sigh... This Splatfest is going to be trouble."
- Marie: "And make it double!"
- Callie: "We'll protect Inkopolis from devastation!"
- Marie: "And unite all squids within our nation!"
- In the August Update, a new line has also been added, poking fun at mechanics developers inplemented in order to maximize the frame-rate, such as Draw Distance.
- Callie: "It's so foggy I can't even see the ground!"
- Marie: "That's called draw distan- Er... It's smog. *COUGH*"
- The sixteenth and final global Splatfest, rather than featuring the Squid Sisters taking sides on a hosted showdown, featured the Squid Sisters themselves as the teams. The final results gave Marie a 54% popularity advantage and a 51% victory ratio, making her supporters the overall Splatfest winner.
- In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, scanning Amiibos of the two will unlock squirrel versions of themselves.
- With Callie missing and Marie absent to search for her, a new band, "Off The Hook", hosts Splatfests and produces music in their place.
- In Octo Canyon, Marie will reveal in a dialogue that she finds Agent 4 to be "pretty adorable."
- Marie will say this regardless of Agent 4's Gender. This has led a few players to speculate that Marie is bisexual.
- Although it is known that Callie and Marie are cousins and judging by their appearances, it is assumed that they are the same age.
- Callie's amiibo entry reads as follows:
- Callie is the cheeriest member of the pop idol duo known as the Squid Sisters in the Splatoon™ game. Along with Marie, she hosts Inkopolis News and Splatfest events, in which Inklings pick one of two sides and battle the opposing team in Turf War. These two cousins rose to fame after winning Calamari County’s first annual Youth Folk-Singing Contest, and their remarkable voices continue to rock Inkopolis!
- Marie's amiibo entry reads as follows:
- Marie is the sassiest member of the pop idol duo known as the Squid Sisters in the Splatoon™ game. Along with Callie, she hosts Inkopolis News and Splatfest events, in which Inklings pick one of two sides and battle the opposing team in Turf War. These two cousins rose to fame after winning Calamari County’s first annual Youth Folk-Singing Contest, and their remarkable voices continue to rock Inkopolis!